Monday, January 25, 2010

Big Brother Advice

Damon has been doing his best to be a good big brother. Yet, it seems as though we are constantly having to remind him to use gentle hands and to give Ashton space. Last night, Damon climbed up onto the couch beside me and said, "Mommy, Ashton is so cute I want to hurt him." This isn't the first time he's said something similar to this. Under normal circumstances this would make a mother panick. However, Damon and I understand each other. I don't know if anyone else has experienced this berfore, but have you ever held a little kitten or puppy? They are so small and sweet and supper cute that you just want to squeeze them close to you, but you stop at the last second because you know it would hurt them? I'm pretty sure this is similar to what Damon feels. He loves Ashton so much that he can't hardly stand to keep his distance and not hold him tight.

So, I tried to calmly discuss with Damon that although we may feel that way (that we just want to squeeze something so cute), we must never do anything that could possibly hurt another person (I should put animals into that catagory too). To which he responded, "I know mom." That made me feel a little better, but I must say that my ears are a little more perked when Ashton's in the other room and I'm a little quicker to remind Damon to be soft now.

This morning while Damon was playing with Ashton I heard him saying, "Stinky, stinky, you are stinky...You are not supposed to call people stinky. But if they are your friends and you don't like them, you can call them stinky." I should have corrected his thinking immediately, but I was too busy smiling and the moment was lost. I just hope that Ashton's first word doesn't end up being "stinky."

No comments: