Tuesday, April 27, 2010

A bright future

I was asked to help judge the Utah Southwest Region Sterling Scholar competition this year. I felt honored that Mr. Erickson at the high school would think me a worthy community member to judge in the music. So, two Thursdays ago, I went down to St. George and helped Dr. Johnson from SUU and a faculty member from DSC decide which sterling scholar was most accomplished. Man, was that a tough decision! I couldn’t believe the talent, experience, and scholastic abilities of these young students.


There were a couple who toured Europe for nearly a month with groups of elite musicians. More than a couple of them have studied with musicians who are widely renowned and some have even played with and for famous musicians—not to mention their vast experiences in charity work from building houses in Mexico to traveling the country to promote drug-free programs. Then, on top of all that, is the incredible transcripts and ACT scores I saw in all their portfolios—I say incredible because almost all of them were 4.0 students (the lowest being somewhere around a 3.8 with college classes) and test scores ranging from 26 or 28 to 32 or 33. So, ten years after I myself competed in this same category in the Southwest Region Sterling Scholar, events were made full circle; and, I kept thinking to myself, “These are the type of people I was competing against? What was I thinking, and how in the world did I even get runner-up?” If I would have known the kind of competition I was up against, I would have immediately given up and ran to the nearest boulder to hide my shame at the mere thought of thinking I even had a chance. All I can say is I must have been a really good BS-er and, thankfully, I had quite the song prepared—Un Bel di Vedremo from Madame Butterfly—and I did rather well with it for all of those who doubt a teenagers ability to do that song justice. It wasn’t perfect, but it was a little impressive considering I was only 17.

I say it was a tough decision because I kept looking at how accomplished all these kids were and hated the fact that there could only be one sterling scholar; but when it came down to it, the actually decision was almost a no-brainer. The kid who won soared above every other contestant. His enthusiasm practically jumped off the pages of his Book and his performance and interview proved to us he really was that enthusiastic in real life. I can tell he has a great future ahead of him.

And...I have a great future ahead of me too. There are so many things I'd love to do and so many opportunities coming my way all the time. I just have to remember, there is a time for each of the things I'm meant to do in life. For that matter, Adam and Damon and Ashton all have a great future ahead of them as well. I think it's just a matter of understanding our purpose and dearest desires and then having patience until it's our time to fulfill them.

No comments: