Wednesday, September 8, 2010

First Steps

Ashton began walking a week ago last Sunday (on August 29th), at almost exactly 14 months old. He was walking before, but it was really sporadic and he'd only take a couple steps from here to there when he was distracted. No amount of bribery or beckoning could convince him to step out on his own. He learned a couple months ago that he was fastest if he crawled on hands and toes, so he would promptly get down on all fours and rush to us or whatever his destination. But now, he tentatively walks in a step-pause-step-pause fashion toward us with a big smile on his face. He definitely knows he's doing something really special and he loves the attention. I just can't believe it's taken him this long to start walking and, furthermore, that his quickest mode of transportation is still the bear crawl (or the Mogley as my sister Stacie has coined it). Damon began walking at ten months and he practically started running immediately thereafter. One thing I've definitely learned during my short term as a mother is that kids will learn and develop at their own pace and no amount of convincing, tricking, or bribery will change when they're ready. With Ashton, we'd make funny faces, talk to him in high-pitched voices, and even try to dupe him into taking a step, but all he would do was lift his legs off the ground and do his best to wriggle to a crawling position on the floor. Man, we've got some stubborn kids!

Then, a week ago Wednesday, Damon had his first day of school. He was all smiles and excitement and hardly said bye to me before he stepped through his classroom door. He's been anxiously waiting his chance at being an official kindergartener for over a year. It was funny, for two nights before he started, he nearly giggled himself to sleep thinking how exciting it was that he would be starting school soon. And, of course, now all I hear when I pick him up is "Mrs. Packer this and Mrs. Packer that—" and "Me and Aiden this and me and Aiden that—" Aiden's his new close friend and they've been playing Super Mario at recess every day since school began, he's also been asking if Aiden could come play at our house since school began. I've asked Aiden and his mom to the park for Damon's birthday, I'm sure he'll love that.

Every morning, Damon gets up at 6:30 in order to be ready in time to ride with Adam to school. He's excited each morning and gets up eager to be off. I love seeing how handsome and grown up he looks in his uniform, which he thinks is really great like it makes school even more special for him. I just love to see his excitement for life; and while I'm sad to see him growing so big, I'm also excited to experience life with his. It's probably because of this that I got more emotional in my excitement for him than sad to being growing out of a stage with him—I made it through dropping him off for his first day without even dropping a tear. What can I say, this motherhood thing is great. It's exciting, emotion, and always different. I LOVE IT!!!

We've been close quarters the last few weeks. Since we've moved into the fifth wheel, I've learned that it really doesn't take much to make the kids happy and we can be resilient when we need to be. Damon really missed his friends at first, but now that he's started school, he seems content to just spend his afternoons with Ashton and I. He is such a good kid, he's trying just as hard to make the best of our situation as Adam and I are. And, he is so loving toward Ashton, always willing to guide him out of trouble and play with him when Ashton gets bored. He truly has a special spirit. Ashton, on the other hand, doesn't seem to notice much of a difference. He simply acts happy to have more things to climb on and he does get frustrated once in a while when I don't let him go play on the grass. Unfortunately, we only have about a 10'X35' patch of grass outside our door which happens to be sandwiched between two roads; which, of course, is not very child-friendly. Especially considering how fast Ashton is and the fact that he has absolutely no comprehension of the danger. Thankfully there are lots of parks and stores and we can go swimming at the park pool until the weather gets too cold. This is not a long-term arrangement, but at least we're together and we're having fun devoting this extra time to each other.

Yes, I am very, very blessed.

 

1 comment:

Ada said...

Your positive attitude is inspiring! We loved seeing Ashton's walking and Damon's excitement firsthand!