Written October 21st
One of the challenges of Adam being a teacher is as we grow close to many of the students, we feel keenly for them in their various struggles. I suppose the thought that we may have to mourn the death of one of them never occurred to us. Last Friday, we got an interesting text from a couple kids from Beaver, "To our dear friend Peter Smith. We will all love you and miss you! Please pass this around. Our prayers are with you and your family! R.I.P" At first we thought it was just a morbid announcement that he had left on his mission, but it seemed a little off and the RIP at the end was disturbing. So, we inquired further and found out that Peter had been in an ATV accident earlier that day and hadn't made it.
We were shocked. Absolutely and utterly shocked. We were both very fond of Peter. Every year he'd participated in the musicals, the last two having major roles. He'd also been in the advanced choir last year as a senior. So, we had many opportunities to get-to-know him. He was so full of life and smiles. He was quirky and devoted and kind. He is, without a doubt, one of the best kids we've met so far. It still doesn't seem real that he's passed away. I called Autumn and Emily after I found out and we cried together, Adam and I talked about him and I cried again, and then again, and several times over. It's just so hard to comprehend it, but if anyone was prepared to be a missionary on the other side of the veil, he was. Two days before the accident he received his mission call to Independence Missouri. Just hours before he died he wrote the acceptance to his call, "I will gladly accept this call to serve…I am looking forward to serving the Lord for the next two years and to bring souls to baptism. Thank you for giving me this opportunity. I will try to serve my best at all times, in all things, and in all places."
I went to his "farewell" on Wednesday to represent our family. Peter's family was incredible. Most of them were busy comforting others and testifying of their faith. I didn't want to go to the viewing, I wasn't going to, but Emily talked me into going as her moral support. He was the first person I've known who died in the prime of his life. I wanted to remember him as he really was, but as I stood staring at his lifeless body, I didn't feel anything. It was only a glove, THAT wasn't Peter. I still remembered him as he was. Then I had an overwhelming assurance that it really wasn't Peter. His spirit was still alive and well, and I knew without doubts that he was in the company of angels and holy beings, that he wasn't alone and that he still existed in a different sphere. The only sadness I felt then was for the loss of his energetic and happy presence. What a support and light he was to those around him!
A few things stood out to me from the service. His younger brother, Jacob, was with him on the mountain that fateful afternoon. Jacob read the first verse of "The Battle Hymn of the Republic" and said that is what had happened to him. I thought that was interesting and wondered what he meant by it. Later, he clarified and said he felt Peter's spirit leave him to go comfort the rest of his family and in his place the Savior came to sit with Jacob on the mountain. He also said, "Peter thought he was preparing for his mission, but what he was really doing was preparing me for mine." I am amazed at their thick bond of brotherhood and hope Jacob will continue to be strong in the tough months and even years ahead. Peter's family feels that he has been called to be a missionary beyond the veil. Despite the fact that his call was to Independence MO, his patriarchal blessing said he would be called to a foreign land to speak a new tongue and those who he pulled from the depths would praise his name. Elder Dane O. Leavitt, an area authority, also spoke. He said that he was prompted to tell us several things, one of them was reading D&C 138:30, "But behold, from among the righteous, he organized his forces and appointed messengers, clothed with power and authority, and commissioned them to go forth and carry the light of the gospel to them that were in darkness, even to all the spirits of men; and thus was the gospel preached to the dead." I was grateful that he confirmed the family's feeling regarding Peter's current state. It is such a blessing to know that Heavenly Father will send us comfort in any way he can.
I'm honored to have known such a valiant son of God. It sounds very cliché, but it is very true. He enriched my life during our brief acquaintance and touched the lives of countless others. I'm full of gratitude for the knowledge of the great Plan of Salvation, to know that Peter is still Peter and he hasn't disappeared into some dark void, and that he will continue to touch the hearts of whomever he comes in contact. Bless you Peter, thank you for your example—for being you, and we love you! RIP
Peter James Smith
September 5, 1991-October 15, 2010
No comments:
Post a Comment