Sunday, February 21, 2010

IT'S POURING!!!

Well, technically it's snowing. It has been for three days here in Beaver; but, for our family, it started drizzling a couple weeks ago and finally worked up to a downpour this last week.  The week before last, Damon was home sick all week with a cold, then Ashton got sick and I took him into the clinic last Friday. He was a little congested in the chest but since his RSV test came back negative, they sent us home and just said to try to keep his nose clean and use a vaporizer. By Monday, he still had a fever and wasn't breathing very well, and by Tuesday, his breathing was so laboured, I took him back to the doctor's office. Dr. Lance Smith ("Dr. Lance" as we call him to distinguish him from his father) came in, examined him quickly, commented on how grey Ashton's coloring was and how low his oxygen levels were (they 77-78 percent when they should be no lower than 90) and he immediately sent us to the hospital.

We promptly went into testing and found out Ashton still didn't have RSV. He had bacterial pneumonia. Thankfully Dr. Lance was suspicious of the way the congestion sounded in his lungs and ordered an x-ray which was how they diagnosed the pneumonia. The poor littly guy was poked and prodded, and had tubes sticking out and to him for more than half a week. He was a good sport, though, and it only took him a day to stop trying to tear away his oxygen tubes. It was interesting, he got more upset and cried more over that oxygen tube than his IV and tests put together. It was so sad, when we first went in, he was so sick he didn't even hardly cry. Instead, he would just look at me and moan. I missed seeing his happy smile and rosey cheeks and his by hands.






Despite him being so sick, he kept in good spirits and we got to see brief glimpses of his smile and personality throughout the week. Thankfully, the antibiotics did their job and he had a rather speedy recovery. More than just the antibiotics contributed to him getting better, though. The power of the priesthood and the faith of our friends and family were instrumental. A few of my voice students were really effected by the news of Ashton's illness; and, after a few tears, they fasted for him and then Emily (who is as much friend as student) called six different temples and put him on the prayer rolls. Her thoroughness (is that a word?) made me laugh, but I was very touched at their concern. They are such good girls and I am honoured to know them.

Four days without hardly stepping out of his hospital room (Adam or I had to be with him at all times) and I was completely stir-crazy. Thankfully, Adam was able to take sick leave so he could stay home with Damon. Adam was working on remodeling our bathroom, so he got out of most of the hospital duty. By Friday, Ashton was okayed to go and we were very glad to get home.


This is Ashton with his nebulizer. He
loves to try to eat it as the vapors pour
out of the mouth piece. He thinks it's a
really fun toy instead of medicine.

Then, on top of everything, Adam had a meeting with the Superintendant on Wednessday and found out that his contract will not be renewed for next year. We knew this would be a possibility, but it still came as a blow. Adam is dealing well with the news, but I think he feels unappreciated and almost like they've just discarded him. I was rather upset the first day, but now I'm actually rather relaxed about the whole thing. This isn't unique to just us. Teachers are being laid off all over the state. In fact, Jordan School District is getting rid of 250 teachers for next year. It's just crazy right now--which should make me more nervous because that means it will be harder for Adam to get a job, but there is some comfort in knowing we're not alone in this uncertain situation. I know that Heavenly Father is aware of us and I feel as though he is guiding our footsteps. What trials we may yet have in front of us, I don't know. Our road will most likely not be an easy one, yet I feel comfort in the confidence that the destination will be one of happiness, contentment and ultimately better than our current situation. The only worry (although it is a small one right now) is about selling our house. I hope we can sell it for enough that we can at least get out of it what we put into it. So, now we are trying to finish all of our projects on our home by the first of March so we can put it up for sale. I feel as though we may need some good luck to pull everything off.

What a blessing it is to know what is truly important. It is because of the gospel that we can see the bigger picture and understand that our trials and the uncertainties in our lives will pass; and, despite the stress and sadness they may cause, we may still find joy in the midst of them. I feel that in the upcoming months we will have to rely more fully on our faith and the hope of the Savior to help us keep our perspective in the right place. Heavenly Father loves all of us, and he desires to lead us to happiness. I pray that, as the months progress, we may clearly see the path he is laying for us and trust that even if we can only see one step ahead, it will lead us to a place of happiness, and safety and peace--that as long as we are together with the Spirit of the Lord, our family can happily weather anything. We have been so blessed already, and because God is the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow, I can trust that he will continue to bless us, and I thank him for his tender care.

No comments: