Monday, March 15, 2010

Hand to Mouth...

Okay, finances may get a little tight at times, but Ashton's taking the term "hand to mouth" to a whole new level. For him it's literal. He picks up an items, studies it for a second, then promptly gives it a taste-test as if that will give him a better idea of what it is. It's so fun to watch him watching the world around him. He doesn't just look, he studies the people, the objects, everything; and, I can practically see his observations processing in his mind. I love seeing him try to use his fine motor skills. Sometimes I'll put little pieces of food on his tray and watch him try to pinch it between his pointer finger and thumb. Mostly, he just pushes it away in his attempts or, if he gets lucky and manages to pick it up, loses it before it's even half-way to his mouth. Of course, when he's down on the floor, he is miraculously able to pinch lint and put it to his mouth with no problems at all. How does that always happen--they always want or find what they shouldn't have.

Last week in sacrement meeting, he was interested in a woman sitting behind us. He kept looking over my shoulder at her and flashing his biggest smile, then he'd duck down and play with a toy a minute and then look back over my should and smile at her again. At one point, she got up and left the chapel. Ashton watched her the whole way and even kept looking a the door seemingly waiting fore her to return. It was so cute, hardly anyone can keep from smiling at him when they make eye-contact.

He's also practicing his gross motor skills. His knew favorite past-time is playing on the floor. He hasn't figured out crawling or even the army crawl, yet. Instead he just puts his arms forward and pulls himself forward with his brute strength and an occasional grunt. I'm still cringing at the thought of baby-proofing. There is just so much to do and I feel so little time. Everyday he seems to get into something else I didn't think was problem or even a temptation.

My parents came down yesterday. They ate chilli and spent the afternoon with us. I'm sad to think a quick visit won't be a possibility come next weekend. They finally sold (or presold, since it's just on lease until the new residence sell their own home) their house, and now they're moving to Northern Utah (Huntsville) for a while. It's a little sad, but we won't be here too much longer anyway. It's funny how my whole family has returned to Northern Utah and I'm the only left with a link to St. George. It's always bittersweet to grow up and build your own family. Home developes a new definition. It's no longer the house we grew up in, or where mom and dad are, it's not even where the heart is. I'm learning that home is a place where you feel safe, have a purpose, and where you're life is shared with those you couldn't live without. My heart will always be with my parents and siblings and I'll always want to be near them; but, the greatest part of me will always want to be with Adam and our children as they grow to be men. Wherever we can thrive in all the facets of life, that's where we need to be. I hope we will never be too far from our loved ones, but I also hope we will alow the road to take us wherever we will find the greatest possibilities for our stability, growth and happiness. However, I also realize that as long as we are together, we can make wherever we are HOME.  

No comments: