Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Easter Break

Last weekend was super busy. Adam's last day of school before spring break was Wednessday. Then, that evening we drove up to West Point to Stacie's, Friday to Sharla's in Lehi, Saturday evening back to Stacie's and Monday evening back home. There was a lot of time in the car, but we dealt with it well. On the way home, we played "I Spy" from Bountiful all the way past Provo. Let me tell ya, Damon is a tough apponant to beat.

It was wonderful meeting Dustin's fiance, Nicki, on Friday. She seems super nice and I can tell she adores Dustin (something is waited a long time for) and he's pretty smitten by her as well. It's fun to see them together--all the lovey-kissy-can't-bear-to-be-seperated-from-you-for-one-second kind of affection brought me back a little to when Adam and I were engaged. But, I'm glad to say, they are not nearly as bad or corney as Adam and I were--Thank Goodness! However, they seem to have a little bit of the "island" syndrome. A thousand things could be happening around them and they are so into eachother that they would probably only catch about twenty of the different events. I love it--Oh, that period of time before the first fight on your honeymoon...ignorance really can be bliss.

General conference was amazing. I was very touched by almost every talk given. I have to admit, the only talks I wasn't enlightened by were the couple that didn't get my undivided attention. What really stood out to me, though, was the "teach your children at home" theme running throughout the whole conference. Almost every speaker mentioned the importance of the parents being their children's first teachers, that the church is only a tool in rearing children and their greatest strength comes from what they have learned at home.

It makes me feel like there is a lot of pressure placed on my shoulders. Of course I already knew that I was taking on a grave and difficult responsibility when I decided to become a mother. While I did feel reprimanded at times and even incompetent when I thought of all that was expected of me, the most wonderful thing about general conference (and this happens in every conference) is it left me with a greater hope and excitement for the future than I had before. I think it's mostly because we're practically given a step-by-step play to overcoming the life-challenges they address; and, the inspiration and spirit remind me of how much our Heavenly Father loves us and wants us to be happy.

Then, Monday, on our way home, I stopped to have lunch with a couple of old high school friends from Morgan--Alana and Angela. We laughed for over two hours and reminisced and got caught up. It was really nice and it's good to know that time may change us, make us look different, teach us life-lessons, and transform the way we see see things; but, essentially, we are still the same people. Despite all the changes in our lives and person we are still our own selves--that deep in our core we are still ourselves.

Here are just a few pics from the weekend--


Melanie's b-day present to Dustin--This whitie-tighty bean
was some kind of inside joke. We all got a pretty good laugh
about it.





Ashton got a bath in Sharlas laundry room sink. It's gigantic! and I
want one. I liked that he could splash all he wanted and I didn't have
to worry about a big mess.

A few of my favorite and most inspirational quotes:

“ACTIVATE THE POWER OF THE PRIESTHOOD.” There will be times when that is the only shield standing between your family and the power of the destroyer. -Packer

A good woman must constantly resist voices telling her she deserves time away, but the spirit can help to prioritize things in life. -Julie Beck

“They [the pioneers] may have been homeless, but they were not hopeless.” They had learned that the true source of hope is faith...Hope and happiness and joy are not products of circumstance, but products of the Lord. (Moroni 7:41-42) -Wilford W. Anderson

“You [mother] are your Daughter’s first line of defense against the wiles of the world” -Ballard

We help God the best by providing ways to build faith, especially while children are young. Lay the path and rescue them quickly from the darkness when and if they wander. Most valuable time is within the first eight years of their life. Because they are younger than the age of accountability, the mists of Satan do not cloud their eyes from the path to eternal life. -Eyring

The scripture enlarge our memory and teach us things that we would have not known otherwise...A loving God would not leave us alone to learn the unhappiness of the truth that wickedness never was happiness. -D. Todd Christofferson

We can reject the evil one if we want it enough. The light of the gospel can and will shine where we fear life has gone hopelessly and helplessly dark. - Holland

“It is not fair for us to make others feel as though they are deficient..." We are to support and heal rather...we shouldn’t act as though they are already lost... "Let us love at all times."

But until we manifest our words by our actions, we are nothing but a sounding brass…Christ not only taught but showed us how to succor the week etc…If we are his hands, should we not do the same?

Without the act of love, we are only the form of his church without the substance.-Uchdorf

What do our children see when they look at our faces? Do they see the countenance of the Savior...We are the angels heavenly father has sent to help the children…together we can come to know him, feel his presence, and experience his blessings as we strive to return to him -Lant

Need to be civil in our disagreements. It is appropriate to disagree, but it is not appropriate to be disagreeable. -Quentin L. Cook

“Being there” means understanding the hearts of our youth.” Connecting with them means not just talking with them, but doing things with them too. - Robert D. Hales

“A distraction does not have to be evil to be effective.” -Bradly D. Foster

“We will all face times of difficulty. The question is not when we will face them but how.” We may never know in this life why we face what we do, but we can face them with a surety that we will learn and have the strength to do what we must. -James B. Martino

Many blessings in life are missed because of worldly judgment to a spiritual decision. -Schwitzer

The gospel is adapted individually, the principles are universal elements and can be applied in our various situations...Must teach the things pertaining to righteousness so our children will be converted and have the strength to live their lives in righteousness. -Vinas

We live in Troubled times, in a time of permissiveness, distraction, etc...“We hold in our arms the rising generation…we cannot be casual in how we prepare them”

As you speak of Christ, you will feel the power of Heaven with you.


“I knew that I would be made equal to my mission” (mother of Oaks?)

If your child isn’t listening, do not despair. Time and truth are on your side...Your testimony will never leave your children…

As you do your best, the testimony of Jesus will gently distill upon your children’s hearts. They will go to Heavenly Father in humble prayer, and feel his influence through the power of the Holy Ghost. A stronger personal faith in Jesus Christ will prepare them for the challenges they will most surely face. (this is the promise)-Neil L. Andersen

1 comment:

Accalia said...

Thanks for posting, Kelsy! I loved it! Your depiction of Dustin and Nicki was great! :)